Don’t go into the conversation just further your goals.
- Have a clear goal in mind. like make (blank) think (blank) is cool or this would help with (blank)'s issue.
- further goals: don’t base a conversation on what you read in a bio or personality, your character doesn’t know this information. On the reverse of this, don’t just ask questions based on finding out what was mentioned in the FC either.
Don’t make a character constantly be a downer.
- They don’t have to be a ball of sun shine all the time but people are not all down on their luck either.
- Have a variety of topics they can talk about. Having sad topics constantly will make people not have a conversation with your character for long.
- A way to converse is to think about your own or your friends’ conversations and how they flow naturally with people. What do they talk about?
Topics people don’t generally want to talk about in real life can be said about in an RP as well.
Characters want to talk about themselves
- They can if you want them too., but not every character will like it.Some will want to keep things to themselves, others may want to tell you anything you ask them.
- People can get bored of talking about themselves.
-No one likes a busybody randomly coming up to them saying I can help.
Compliments are good up to a point.
- A great way to show your character thinks well of others and maybe has good intentions.
- If a character keeps giving compliments for superficial traits then the effect is lost. They will start to come off as insincere or overly obsessed.
Don’t make people guess what your character wants to talk about.
- People aren’t mind readers. Passive signs are hard to have a conversation with like eye rolls sighs.
- Ignoring what the other character saying isn’t helpful. It will just make people frustrated. It doesn’t anything going forward.
Have a character that is willing to learn new things or open to hearing new idea
- They don’t have to lose all their beliefs, just be open to hearing about ways that aren’t their own.
- Character can change and adapt to there current situation.
Feel free to add your own tips