Discussion: Cliffhangers

What are your thoughts on cliffhangers?

I try to have them add them at the end of my chapters because I know it can make readers keep reading but I also get really annoyed if I see too many of them in other people’s stories. I’m also really not a fan of cliffhangers at the end of a story :sweat_smile: e

4 Likes

I don’t know what to think about them! I love and despise them at the same time!
I do think it adds to the story, it makes you want to read more but too much is too much. I love cliffhangers when I know there is more and I don’t have to wait for new chapters because I do tend to forget about things that happened.

1 Like

They’re nice when done right. It’s a tricky thing though and they should be used correctly and not feel as if the author was too bored to continue the story

1 Like

I like cliffhangers but I also dislike them if they’re overused. says the person who watches Korean soap operas for a living

1 Like

I like cliffhangers, but they’re often executed in a way I don’t like. I’ve seen story parts ended on a major reveal and right before a major reveal. If it’s just building up to a major reveal, that’s fine, but it also gets a lot more tiring and can feel less worth the energy when the reveal is less dramatic than the audience has been lead to believe.

2 Likes

I love them but I hate them

1 Like

Cliffhangers is a great tactic to get a reader to keep reading. It’s sneaky as well, and can create suspense. A lot of people like suspense. Cliffhangers are a good idea to use in horror, thrillers, and drama genre books.

1 Like