DISCUSSION: Is asexuality part of the LGBTQ+ community?

Yes!! Why not?

Yea

Yes, it’s LGBT.

No :joy:. They might as well say ‘everyone except homophobes’ if they are going to use that term :woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5:

3 Likes

Bump!

Added a discussion tag. :white_heart:

I THINK A STANDS FOR AUTOSEXUAL, AND YES, ASEXUALITY IS PART OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY.

2 Likes

of course Asexual counts :green_heart:

1 Like

It really depends on the individual, I guess…

Bump!

Yeah, I do.

Yeah, I do.

This one’s a tricky one. I’m going to say no.

No. It’s an umbrella for aro, ace, agender.

1 Like

Isn’t that the “a” in LGBTQIA+

2 Likes

No. A is for allies in the LGBTQIA+ acronym.

2 Likes

Well I myself am asexual, but I don’t count myself as being apart of the LGBTQ+ community. I just a straight girl who doesn’t like the dirty.

3 Likes

Same here.
I’m romantically attracted to guys but I don’t have a need for sex and I don’t enjoy hearing graphic details about it, either.

2 Likes

Well im cis and heterosexual but also identify as demisexual (well im not 100% sure, I know i fall somewhere in the Asexual spectrum) The way i see it I’m straight I just don’t have any desire to have sex. So no I don’t consider myself LBGT+, I dont want to speak over others in the LGBT community I guess, since I’ve never really had to face discrimination because of my sexuality. I hope that’s not offensive or anything :grimacing:

4 Likes

I mean, I’d think that asexuality is part of the LGBT community, but like I’m straight and cis so lmao it’s not like I have a valid opinion. I just don’t think it’s fair for people to ostracize ace people if they think that they belong to the LGBT community. Isn’t the LGBT community for anyone who isn’t cis and het? If so, then yeah, aces are a part of the LGBT community.

7 Likes

I have friends and family that fall all over the spectrum I myself am not sure about my sexuality 100% at the moment and I am alright with that because I don’t need labels for myself but anyway I know that my twin brother identifies as Asexual and so does my best friend so I have had this conversation with both of them and I think that they have helped to form my opinion. I do think that asexuality is part of the community no matter what your romantic preferences are. I don’t really have much of an opinion on aromantic heterosexuals because I don’t know anyone who falls into this group so, to be frank, I don’t know much about them or the ways that they may see themselves as being in or out of the LGBTQ+ community. I think that the acronym has grown and changed over the years as things have changed so I think at one time it may have stood for allies but I feel that it now standing for allies is rather unnecessary.

3 Likes

I have to agree. I don’t identify with the community, but a lot of asexual people who do identity are hated on a lot by the community. Which is all honestly is the reason I don’t identify with the community, I really don’t feel like getting hate.

6 Likes

I hate that asexual people are treated badly by the community. The LGBTQ+ community should include people who aren’t heteroromantic-heterosexual.

1. Absolutely, yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. Still yes.
  4. No. Allies are great, but that’s a step too far.
7 Likes

I see that a lot, honestly. A lot of people justify it by saying that aces and aros don’t have to struggle as much as the rest of the LGBT community, but to me at least, I don’t think that should determine whether or not they’re part of the community. :woman_shrugging:t5:

Yeah, I never really got why people say that the a in LGBTQIA+ stands for allies, like, isn’t that just being a decent person?

5 Likes

Same here I don’t identify with the community, I actually identify with A.V.E.N. which I know won’t give me hate based on my romantic orientation.

4 Likes

@Discussions :rainbow_flag:

3 Likes

ASEXUALITY IS VALID

REEEEEEE

3 Likes