ShanniiWrites Forums

Do Writers Think Deeply About the Small Details?

@Bloggers

7 Likes

:star_struck: I’m going to read asap

3 Likes

Interesting read

This is too soon for a bump, but I will say that I am super proud of this blog post and I hope it helps other people.

As you can probably tell, the “curtains are blue” meme drives me up the wall xD

1 Like

Honestly since I started doing creative writing same, my teacher will always ask me questions about literally any aspect of something I write and I always have an answer to justify why I chose a certain thing and how it helps the story. In my 1000 word story for my assignment I chose the colour red for something and it wasn’t just because red is nice

2 Likes

:joy: Right?! If your answer was “because read is nice”, you wouldn’t be on a creative writing course. As an academic discipline, your word choices need to have a clear, logical justification!

Also, the point about “bad editing”, too! When someone describes a small, insignificant detail, it’s like a camera lingering on that thing for seconds. The audience will be like “ok, so this must be important” :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve also just noticed some people generally having a problem with analysis existing, usually because in a classroom setting it’s not presented in a good way or just because it doesn’t jam with how they like to consume media of any kind.

2 Likes

Even reading back through the story I wrote for my assignment I notice things I didn’t before, I guess that applies to that point you made about writers adding things subconciously

3 Likes

:clap:t4: Very nice!

2 Likes

I just wanted to use this space to talk about analysis, hopefully, this is okay lol.

In my English class, my English teacher would try and make us see specific themes in the book. Honestly, there were times when I interpreted something wrong. And what I mean by “wrong” is that there wasn’t enough evidence in the text to remotely back up what I was saying, it was like I was pulling interpretation out of a hat. Reading 16th century poetry was very difficult for me, for instance and I was sometimes told, “Actually no, that’s not whats happening”. And when you have a “bad” interpretation, usually if you look back through the material your view will clash with what we either know or assume the author’s to be based on a bunch of other things (like the author’s other works or essays talking about certain things they have opinions on).

In reading poetry, I learned to reign in my interpretations by being able to back them up with evidence, and not just windy speculations.

And so it annoys me when people think that they can just say anything about the book and it will be able to apply and that’s what English is all about. That you can take anything out of a novel and call it “deep” or “profound” or that is what critics are doing. Overanalyzing is also a problem too, of getting too into an interpretation and losing that structure and having your views contradict quotes from the book or text.

And in creative writing (and/or modern writing) too, I think small details can really matter and amplify the plot. It can make the plot feel more full and realistic like you could reach out and touch it. I’ve not had experience analyzing modern texts, but I assume it’d be similar to analyzing older ones. However, with my own writing, I don’t try to purposefully make things “profound” or “deep” because then it loses its purpose and comes across as silly. IMO, that should not be your sole purpose–to make something “deep”. If that makes sense?

The most beautiful and profound pieces of writing I’ve read have come from writers who were expressing something about themselves or society, and using their work as a sort of statement. Or to put their feelings and thoughts to paper in a unique way.

3 Likes

Feeling that

Interesting discussion

1 Like