How do you come up with evil characters?

So, when I come up with evil characters I watch horror, thrillers, supernatural, and drama shows to help me come up with my characters. Also, reading books with evil characters help to. I tend to pick characters who were scorned/hurt in the past by someone who then goes dark. I have a tendency to try to save my bad characters in some redemption like story though. I have a few that are beyond saving.

How do you come up with your evil characters?

@Writers

7 Likes

I suppose I tend to look at extreme people in the society involved at start from there, and then I will look at why they are that way. Like you, I like those who have been hurt into doing “evil” things ~

4 Likes

For me, I think the most important thing is to designate their motivations. Evil characters become a lot more authentic when their actions and words are realistic based on what they want. Evil for the sake of being evil will fall flat.

5 Likes

I usually just take cliche evil characters, then try to build them up :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Easy, I just base the characters on people that I can’t stand.

But in my future novel (not talking about the first one that is still in the making, just to be clear), I will make my main character the villain as I felt that stories with villainous MCs are pretty much overlooked and it would be better to understand their backstory on why they felt like this.

4 Likes

Who hurt them and why? What do they want and why? And how do I put as many obstacles that will require a darker turn in order to complete their goall.

3 Likes

I generally get my references from books I’ve read, or films I’ve watched.
I don’t copy them, but use them as inspiration.
But I’ve also drawn something, and turned it into one of my favourite characters I’ve ever made. So I use lots of different ways, it just happens I guess!

2 Likes

Same here!!

1 Like

This actually made me laugh! Good technique to go with! :joy:

1 Like

I usually base them on people I don’t stand and try to analyze their actions.
For example, Principal Hollister from Miss Understood is based on the principal at a school where I used to work. So as I was writing the story, I thought… how would a woman who only cares about the prestige of a school and the tuition money she makes from the families react when a classroom full of elementary kids is out of control?

1 Like

Hahaha glad that made you laugh :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I usually look to DC universe for inspiration for evil characters (they have a lot of awesome villains TBH, and not just the overrated Joker and Lex Luthor).

1 Like

That is so true! You have to give the DC creators credit for their villains.

1 Like

I mostly take real life evil people and change a few things about them so they fit into my story idea :thinking: Although I distinguish between really evil characters and characters who are evil because of one thing that happened or one thing that they want and once that issue is solved they aren’t evil anymore. It’s easy for me to come up with the first one because I just take the most evil personality traits I know from books, movies and real life. The second one is a bit more difficult for me which is probably because I don’t plan my stories so maybe I should start working on that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Don’t make their only characteristic their evilness.

1 Like

Agreed!

1 Like