How to NOT promote a story

I hope this is in the right category…

How to NOT promote your story

We all want our stories noticed, right? So, we spread the word, post links, and tell people all about it in order to get them interested in reading our wonderful masterpiece.
However, there are a few unwritten rules of promoting a story, and this thread is to give writers tips on how to avoid mistakes when promoting.

Here are a few tips on what not to do when promoting your story:

• Don’t promote it the wrong place. If the thread is about ‘Worst story tropes’, don’t just randomly insert a link inviting people to read your story. Most likely, the people who clicked on the thread are interested in reading about and sharing the worst story tropes. People might not even notice it.
  • If the original post is asking for a certain type of stories, don’t post yours if it doesn’t fit the theme. Let’s say the original poster wants to read horror stories with no CC. Yours is a comedy with full CC. That is not the right place to promote it. It would be better to find a thread looking for something that makes YOUR story unique!
  • Don’t slide into authors’ private messages. We all want our favorite authors to read our stories and give us feedback… and even post screenshots of our stories on Instagram! But unless they are specifically asking for recommendations, it isn’t a good idea to just randomly message them, asking to read your story. Some authors might do it, but there are others that specifically state in their IG stories that they do not like getting DMs asking to read their stories. So please be mindful of that.

Would anyone else like to share tips on the wrong ways to promote a story?

23 Likes

Don’t post on a read for read thread if you don’t plan on reading other people’s stories in return for them reading yours.

9 Likes

Lol, I was gonna say this!!

1 Like

I find it annoying when people literally promote their story on 100 different places, mainly when I was still on episode there were stories I just kept seeing on way too many threads.

4 Likes

YES! A few is fine, but be selective. Don’t post it on every single thread you can find.

Why would people do that? Are they that desprate? Tbh, it really makes the author super uncomfortable and if I were the author, I don’t eben know what to reply. It’s just like someone DM me on insta for likes, not once, not twice, but multiple times.

You mean on unrelated threads as well? Like not a promote story thread?

1 Like

Uh… well, they should post on unrelated threads. But I meant just not posting on EVERY story promotion thread and only on a handful of them.

1 Like

Ok, so I saw one story on Episode that had in it’s description “the more you read the more I write” pretty sure it probably still has like 11 reads.

I don’t really know why people DM popular authors to read and recommend their story, all you do is making the author uncomfortable tbh.

1 Like

Here is some tips I have for authors:

• Don’t go through on a read for read if you don’t bother even going over what you read in both stories. It’s annoying which makes the authors feel like they just go walked over like a welcome mat.
  • Don’t rush someone to read your story. It’s rude.
  • Read carefully when it comes to reviews, promote threads, or even advice threads about stories.
  • Don’t make a generic description for your story. It makes the story come off bland. So add some spice so that it will entice people.
  • Don’t spam people in private messages to read your story. The only time you should message them is if you see their story on a read for read thread. It’s okay if you ask someone to checkout the story if they can but don’t push them to do it.
  • Don’t push your story into peoples faces. Place it in a linktree if you have instagram then notify people to go to your linktree to access your story.
  • Don’t undersell your story. I mean don’t forget to advertise your story on social media. Keep up a weekly basis when it comes to advertising if possible.

This is all I really have at the moment. Do you have anything you would like to add here?

@Discussions
@Writers

11 Likes

THIS. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am so done with doing read for reads with people who only post the freaking loading screen of the last chapter the read instead of commenting something about the story. I refuse to do R4Rs with anyone who requests an R4R unless they agree to my conditions, which is to actually comment the highlights and lowlights, favorite moments, or something that stood out to them.

3 Likes

Same here! I kept getting tired of not getting any feedback from other authors.

2 Likes

I have a confession to share, and I learnt the harsh truth about some authors promoting stories:

I am an Episode writer, but I never had an Instagram account. So the only place I ever promote is in the forums.
So, weeks ago, my friend opened an Instagram account as a ‘Epi reader’ account. She shared her pw to me, so I do check in once in a while.
And in there, I realised these new (or even some upcoming authors) were pastoring my friend to read their stories. She doesnt reply them often, and some of them kept sending her the same message over and over.
And there was one particular author who kept annoying my friend, and she decided to tell her that she was busy, hence she wont read her story for the time being. That person told her off, calling her a ‘selfish reader and only choosing top stories to read’, which is not true at all.

I never knew some authors in IG are so brutal to Epi reader accounts. My friend had gave up helping these authors.

4 Likes

I think the number one way to not promote a story well is to spam one thread with your story OR spam multiple threads with the same story over and over again.

What do you think, any other ways not to promote a story well?

@Episodians, @WattpadWizards, @TapasTeam

3 Likes

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, dm random people on Instagram, that you don’t know or don’t follow to read your story. The DONT care and they will not take the time to read your story if you’re not doing the bare minimum. Idk who needs to hear this

5 Likes

YES! I totally agree with this!

2 Likes

why would u do that oml
Those r the ppl that are the reason that there are wash your hands signs in the bathroom

5 Likes

Yes! And ESPECIALLY not without giving any context of your story.
Like:
hi
can u read my story?
wanna do r4r?

First of all, what’s your story? Why should I read it? What makes it attractive and compelling?

3 Likes

Uh, basically, don’t do everything I do. Making a list would require a long and painful self-reflection :laughing:

I’m still at loss to understand it. Do people actually promote their stories on instagram? Does it work? If so, then how? Instargram is a picture site, I… Always felt its target audience is interested in a very different kind of content.

2 Likes