How to Write Gay Characters Well In Your Stories

Originally published at: https://shanniiwrites.com/2020/06/11/how-to-write-gay-characters-well-in-your-stories/

Writing gay characters well is easier than you’d think! All you need is an open mind and willingness to learn. Check out our tops for success!

17 Likes

This is eye-opening and sooo long, I love it. Thank you. I’m going to read this again in the morning, well, when I wake, just so I can make sure I took everything in. (wink)

8 Likes

Loved this :clap::purple_heart:

1 Like

I read this and I really loved it! Very informative as always.

1 Like

Really loved reading this, going to be using the advice some time in the futureee

2 Likes

Gosh, this got me motivated :smile:

3 Likes

This is perfect to help me with my writing.

1 Like

It’s so important for characters who are gay to not be defined by being gay. Characters sound silly and are much more prone to stereotypes when the author only focuses on them being gay. They need to be characters first. It can also help if the author knows gay people, since it can help to show people that gay people act exactly the same as other people. I’m sick of seeing gay characters that always act in the same ways, although recent popular media has gotten much better about showing a variety of love stories and characters. If your characters are something you’re concerned about, you should always try and find beta readers for a story to make sure it isn’t unintentionally offensive.

1 Like

I was never really scared of adding gay characters because I didn’t know what I should be scared of. You can do stuff wrong with other characters as well, so this is the same for me. But being open to criticism is really important, it’s meant to help you!
I don’t really understand why writers make gay characters be defined by that because that makes no sense to me. Not everything is about that in life :joy:

2 Likes

Can we stop writing gay characters with their only personality trait is being gay? Lol gay people go through other struggles, they have normal lives

1 Like