Should a story have an author explanation in the book?

I think they can be good if the author wants to explain the background or idea behind something but they aren’t always necessary. The writing could even just explain itself in a way so the author doesn’t have to explain.

@Writers what do you think?

3 Likes

I think instead of just telling the reader the idea, the author should show them it without directly saying.

3 Likes

I’m writing a character with DID rn
Not rlly sure ab it lmao, I’m considering an explanation cus a lot of ppl could be confused. Ultimately I’m gonna try get a beta reader who’s never heard of the disorder in the hopes that I’ve managed to explain it well enough within the story that it doesn’t matter

I think it would often be rendered useless as a lot of readers would ignore it or deem it as evidence that teh book isn’t that great at explaining things

2 Likes

It depends on why it’s needed. I usually don’t read them. The only one I read that I actually remember was a book series from YEARS ago. It was S.T.O.R.M, and the author explained how all the books’ technology was based on actual tech, which literally or just loosely.