Should university/college be completely free?

With all this paying for books, etc. it’s very stressing and so why not let the college have these textbooks for us instead of buying it.

Make college feel like it’s for everyone to just come and learn, and of course the workers will be getting paid. Go on a tour of the college, get to know people, but I know it is going to be a bit tricky to imagine if college was going to be free. So my answer is maybe a yes and a no. hmmm I have a hard time explaining because I hate my speech/vocabulary and its hard for me to think…

3 Likes

It is in france

3 Likes

really?!

2 Likes

Taxes go to paying for schools

2 Likes

In the case of textbooks, I hear that they’re rarely used.

2 Likes

Even better would be digital books. I’ve had that in high school partially and that was really nice

1. You don’t have to carry heavy books
  2. You can access it whenever and wherever you want from whichever device
  3. It’s way better for the environment
4 Likes

Exactly!!

Welllllllll, it’s pretty damn good compared to other places. Foreign students have to have really good grades to get in because I’m (fairly) sure that the uni’s prioritise Scottish people over others, which is fair enough.

You should ask @ShanniiWrites, she moved from London to go to college here :smirk:

5 Likes

Edinburgh and Glasgow unis are fantastic. And beautiful too! Plus, the Scottish system lets you take a range of subjects in your first two years, which means you feel more rounded!

4 Likes

I’ve some experience with this as well, if you want to go study in Scotland as Erasmus exchange student you basically need at least an 8 out of 10 to even have a chance. The bar is really high since for most places a 6 is enough, some take a 7 but Schotland is one of the few that require an 8

3 Likes

College shouldn’t be completely free because they have to pay for stuff. Their workers can’t just work for free, materials cost stuff, education costs stuff… whose going to pay for it?

2 Likes

Agreed. Shannii is a great debater. :white_heart:

Reading through this thread, I was thinking this. :rofl::white_heart:

1 Like

I feel like a journalist. Lol

1 Like

:rofl::white_heart:

1 Like

These two emojis. But in bold

1 Like

Bold emojis failed. :pensive::white_heart:

1 Like

damn! didn’t work

1 Like

Yeah, also sport gets considered when they select scholarships which doesn’t happen in most places

In Austria, college is almost free. You just have to pay 32€ a year to the student representation and if you can’t pay for that they’ll just make it completely free.
But if you’re in college for too long, then you have to pay around 600€ each year, as long as there are no specific reasons why you’re taking so long.
I think that’s a pretty good way of handling it because everyone can afford it if they really want to get higher education.
We also have scholarships but here that’s just money you get once a year and that’s it, you still have to pay for student representation and all that

1 Like

I think that university/college should be completely free for at least a reasonable amount of time, five or six years so that you can complete a full degree without worrying about financials.

Some people mentioned that there are plenty of jobs that don’t require a higher education. While that is true, I kind of don’t see the point of that statement. There are also many essential jobs that require further education.

I think that the intake to univeristy/college should be based on skills, not on who has the most money. The thought of people being able to pay themselves into their dream education while others, more suitable individuals, don’t even bother to apply because they can’t afford it, doesn’t sit well with me.

Also, student loans are outrageous. :exploding_head:

I would happily pay more tax to keep education free for everyone. It’s a worth while investment. :wink:

2 Likes