So, the rules against art theft on the forums as they are, are ‘innocent until proven guilty’. Thats a great system for most things, but when it comes to reporting art theft, it relies on individual users to come up with proof that a user is tracing, rather than the user showing they aren’t tracing in the first place. This can easily let stolen and traced artwork through the cracks, which could be prevented with some simple rules put in place, which I’ve drafted here. These mostly come from several art forums, groups, and Aminos that I have been part of, and theyve worked pretty well.
For artwork with advanced coloring/shading and linework.
- Users must submit a screenshot of the layers, including their signature, which should be the same or similar to their forum username. This prevents theft from sites that also require layers as proof (this has been done before, people are wildin)
1 or 2 Layers:
For sketches or simple coloring.
- Users must submit a speedpaint of their drawing (can be done in real time, or after the fact with programs like IbisPaint)
- If traditional art is uploaded to be uses as a base for the digital art, adequate traditional art proof must be given as well
Paintings, sculptures, and pen-and-paper drawings.
- Users must submit a picture of the original drawing with their signature somewhere on it, or with their username on a separate piece of paper.
Premade linework that you can color in.
- Bases should not be allowed to be used in art competitions.
- Drawings using bases should credit the base maker and link back to the original base.
Art in RPs
- Art used for faceclaims should credit the original artist on the FC slides.
Banners & Post art
- Banners and other art used in RP posts should have an embedded link back to the original artwork.
I hope you guys like these ideas, anything I should add?