Superstitions from Around the World!

Superstitions are one big part of a culture—they define the morals and values of a society and they vary from one culture to another!

In this thread, let us talk about different superstitions from around the world!

• What are some superstitions you know from where you are?
  • Do you believe them? Do your elders believe them?
  • What do you think was or is the role of superstitions in our culture?
3 Likes

My grandparents believe sleeping with the fan on can cause “the wind” to run through my body, make me sick, and kill me. It’s a very old legend. They have this oil remedy for it too

Nope, not at all. I sleep with the fan on regardless to show them I’m not gonna die lol.

I’m actually not sure, I’ve never done any research into it and they never really told me any stories other than scolding me for sleeping with the fan on

They always think that my stomach hurting means the wind did sometbing. Idk it’s very odd to me

1 Do not sweep over someone’s feet, they will never marry.

2 Don’t sew on yourself (like a button), it makes people talk bad of you.

3 Never take out the trash after 6, your taking the wealth out of your house.

4 . Always turn your back to the inside of the house when opening the door at night, that way the spirits that have followed you home, will see your face and will not enter.

There’s a lot more from country and people tend to believe these superstitions even me lol and also my family.

Maybe to safeguard us from evil spirits that roam idk…but my country has a lot of history with spirits and ghost… it’s baffling.

not from my culture but as research I found some superstitions for chopsticks like;

• Don’t stick them into your food – this is reminiscent of placing incense at the altar during a funeral.
  • Don’t pass food to another person chopstick to chopstick; this is also symbolic of a funeral ritual.

why am I not dead yet? :thinking:

Maybe you’re a ghost :thinking:

I know this one… except that it leaves us poor and needy for the rest of our lives.

Nope, I am immortal :relieved:

I’ve been sleeping with fan since I was a baby :rofl:
But I’ll admit I did catch a cold from sleeping with the fan directly in my face and I had also gotten a swollen chin from the coldness of the breeze

it’s all good now …I don’t have fans directly on my face now but it’s on me.

1 Like

you can’t cut your nails or hair on a tuesday lmao

2 Likes

Wait, that’s an Indian superstition too.

Another one is that if you sit for too long on a pillow, you will get ill and your butt will get an… ulcer? :thinking::grimacing:

Oh, and another one… the “bad eye” concept. Apparently, if something very good happens to you (like buying a big house, getting your daughter married, winning a lottery etc), other people get jealous and cast the infamous Buri Nazar (bad eye) on you which leads to unlucky things happening to you. So you should refrain talking about your good things in front of people. :joy:

2 Likes

Lemawwwwe have that too, exceot that it’s in the night-

1 Like