The Amazon Rainforest

I just found this post on Instagram…

“Amazon, the biggest ecosystem in the world is currently on fire, it has been for 3 Weeks.
The Amazon Rainforest provides 20% of the world’s oxygen.”
This has been going on for a while now and yet we are being informed about it some weeks later?!?!?!

Oh, and here is the original (complete) Post:

9 Likes

I only found out about it today. When it was Notre-Dame, there was a tonne of media coverage but barely anything is being said or done about the Amazon Rainforest…

4 Likes

Yeah, and the fact that it provides 20% of our oxygen, that we breath?..
But who actually cares…:neutral_face::unamused::neutral_face:

3 Likes

As well as oxygen, the Amazon provides plants for medicine, animal habitats, endangered animals but nope! Let’s do nothing about it! :grin:

3 Likes

O. :hushed:

2 Likes

…Another forest burned?

I-

3 Likes

Literally me when I saw it.

2 Likes

join ecosia and drop google. for evry 45 (or something I forgot real number )search you do. you have paid for a tree to be planted

2 Likes

Again?

1 Like

(I need to find the post on this, sorry if the information is vague but don’t quote me on this yet.)
I read that so many people are saying “do not pray for the Amazon” because it’s actually not natural cause, farmers are being paid to burn parts of the forest because the President now owns all (or most?) of the land so he’s making them clear it.

And apparently this is forcing Indigenous people out of their homes and experts say that the damage may cause the forest to turn into a desert. The post said that people (probably the wealthier ones) should buy the land and protect it if they want to help save the Amazon.

Seriously all that money for Notre Dame wasn’t needed. The Catholic Church afford to rebuild it - they’re loaded. But where are these millionaires and billionaires now? :eyes:

7 Likes

credits to @devils5lut aka Meadows on insta

info

8 Likes

I knew something was fishy… thank you for sharing this.

4 Likes

No problem, everyone was wondering why there’s no news coverage. Now it makes more sense ://

3 Likes

oh wow…

1 Like

Same shit in Siberia. Just few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarified information! Doing a little more research on this as well. I consider myself an environmentalist (I quit eating meat for environmental reasons 12 years ago) even though at this point, it’s hard to be hopeful since there’s so much apathy about this kind of thing.

Sadly, the destruction of the Amazon has been going on for decades. However, this is an unprecedented number of fires (an 85% increase from last year, so almost double, according to this BBC article) and deforestation for this July is almost 300% more than last year…

The EU is also threatening to refuse a trade deal with Brazil (front page news on the BBC), so there are some steps other countries can take.

And yes, the football field a minute statistic seems to be accurate.

Even if you can’t donate money, you can sign this petition: https://amazonwatch.org/take-action/pledge-solidarity-with-brazils-resistance

And it should be noted that the issue isn’t entirely black and white. Brazil has been in a severe economic downturn and it’s slowly coming back but many Brazilians think that they should have authority to use their natural resources in ways they see fit. We in more developed nations forget what we did to get here during the Industrial Revolution.

Basically, this is a worldwide problem that, short of immediate and drastic action from Brazil’s govt in reaction to the threat of sanctions, I think the best way forward is trying to limit our own environmental impact (buy less sh*t) and boycotting companies that do more destroy and don’t even try to do good. And vote for people that care about this stuff, too.

3 Likes

Just looked up the Siberia stuff seems like Russia decided not to put out forest fires unless it made economic sense (basically only if the wood is worth more than the money to fight the fire) and this year, four years later, fires have been really bad. The smoke is blowing to cities and affecting people’s health and Greenpeace says the forests are called remote, unless they are being logged…

All info from this article: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-08-21/russia-siberia-forest-fires-policy-change

2 Likes

I don’t know what to say about this…

Like i used to admire the amazon, there was this tv “show” called World Party which 2 men celebritites went exploring all around the world including the amazon rainforest and it was so beautiful and before that show i would always imagine how beautiful it looked, my sister and i made this little play with a friend called “The Amazon”. And it just saddens me thinking about it being on fire.

3 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:
It’s bad, really bad.

2 Likes

Notre Dame was all private donations. Entire countries offered to aid Brazil during the G7 summit and the president of Brazil refused. No one is helping because he isn’t letting people help. On a side note, it’s also entirely possible that there isn’t anything they can do. There are no fire hydrants in the rainforest. If the fire is out of reach of the fire planes, there really isn’t anything they can do.

1 Like