The most demotivating thing you've been told about your writing

The most demotivating thing I’ve ever been told came from someone who never even read anything I wrote.
This woman actually told me that I didn’t have enough life experience to write a decent story. I was 23 at the time. It made me sad but I didn’t listen to her and kept on writing.

Have you ever been told anything demotivating about your writing?
Did it make you stop writing?
Did it motivate you to try harder?

7 Likes

Hmm, I’ve got told pretty bad things about my stories, but at no moment it made me demotivated, in fact it helped me to push through and become a better writer :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I got told by someone that I had “copied” an existing story.

I hadn’t.

I made up a random name. The character wasn’t in my book. Also made up random events and stuff and they responded with, yeah I think that was their name or yeah that happened.

It was all bs

2 Likes

That my story didn’t have content to enjoy. I got another one saying that it was. sh–tty. it did make me stop writing for a while on episode but I’m becoming more motivated to write again.

2 Likes

Hm… not yet, or at least from what I remember (I have a really bad memory). I’m not really one to share my works, and often when I do, I want real criticisms. I don’t know if I’d be demotivated, because I’m normally cool with people’s opinions lol, but if someone ever does… well, it’s only gonna make me want to do better. I will want to prove them wrong the second time they witness me telling a story.

2 Likes

“Your protagonist is one of those whiners who need to shut the f**k up.”

It actually made me laugh. I expected it from that person (he was a real selfish a-hole), so it was easy to just shrug at it. Then again, I still can’t forget it, so…

I remember getting feedback that while I appericiated it I just didn’t think I could fix it so I thought

Oh with this being the problem I’ll never be a good writer

Obviously this wasn’t true I just needed to look into methods of solving the problem and these days it’s not so bad!

1 Like

I hated writing when I was in high school, I hated it so much. Every year we would have to write 4 creative essays for my literature class and get grades on them. It was always so demotivating getting bad grades and that just made me hate that class and writing. I just didn’t want to get a grade for something I wrote.

Added some tags :sparkles: