I wished we had a thread to talk about rap so I’m speaking it into existence!
I recently found that rap and hip-hop aren’t the same thing. Hip-hop is a culture and rap is about rhymes. So 1991 by Azealia Banks for example is rap but not hip-hop (it uses house beats).
The rappers I listen to the most are:
Azealia Banks I know she’s problematic but her music is so good
RAY BLK She mostly sings but I wish she rapped more because she’s great
& Tierra Whack
Some of my favourite bars:
“Giving y’all my old clothes, old flows like hand-me-downs” - Lil’ Kim Took Us A Break
“When it comes to stealin’ flows these birds is fluent but stutter when get asked 'bout the queen’s influence” - Nicki Minaj, Barbie Tingz
“Don’t reject me or make records to disrespect me, blatant or indirectly” - Nas, Ether
“Here get some haterade, get your thirst quenched” - Nicki Minaj, Chun-Li
“I don’t want to work it out so cancel our gym membership” - Tierra Whack, Only Child
“I’m not comin’ at you, I’m comin’ at your ghostwriters” - Lil’ Kim, Quiet
“You broke honey, and they call me Banks 'cause I can loan money” - Azealia Banks, Ice Princess
“Tattoos, but you can’t see ‘em. Ice cold, yeah I’m goin’ skiin’” - Tierra Whack, Unemployed
And last but not least, my unpopular opinions:
- I don’t think it’s right how loads of rappers have done messy things and get away with it but Azealia Banks doesn’t
- Lil’ Kim doesn’t get the credit she deserves
- Female rappers have to work harder than male rappers to succeed
Which rappers do you listen to?
What are your favourite bars?
Favourite rap songs?
Btw here’s the “schedule” for this thread:
- Reviews/Recommendations - Give stuff to review! - currently paused but I could pick it up again
- Updates - Whenever anything happens so daily/weekly/biweekly
- Polls - Monthly
- UOs - Biweekly or at least once a month
- Wiki/Playlist - Can do this whenever . Might put it in the OP so it doesn’t get lost with the other stuff.