The Sims 1-4 Tutorial Guide!

So this is a tutorial for The Sims game series. I will be going over only The Sims 2, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 in this guide since those are the ones I actually play right now. I have not tried to get Sims 1 on my windows 10 computer but I have seen people on youtube still playing the original Sims game. I can post some videos on here about how to get the games onto your computer as well.

Goal of the Game:

The goal of sims is to make a character plus achieve all the goals that the characters need to reach during their lifespan. Such as, growing a family, getting multiple generations, and many other achievements in the game.

Following the generations

The Sims has changed over the years since it’s the first release in early 2000. This paved the way for different types of simulation games. To date, EA is still the biggest Life simulation game creator since this type of game genre has been made. There is another life simulation game being made. It’s called Paralives which is still in beta mode at the moment. Some YouTubers are making videos about the new game. It could be in the next year or so before the game is fully released. There have been many different variations of The Sims since it was made. Some were successful and other ideas were not as successful which led to their cancelations. Such as, Sims Online which was a Facebook browser of The Sims by maxis but it didn’t grab the attention as they had hoped it would. A tidbit of information I got from @Nemesis in the past week. Though there are still rumors that The Sims 5 could be an online version if they ever move on to the next generation that is. I would prefer they stay in this generation for another two years though. It’s too soon for another generation to be made for the Sims community. The Sims has never been an easy game to play or even finish the game properly. Each new generation brought its own unique challenges that made them drastically different than past generations. The Sims had everything from jobs to even pets in the game which has all been a necessary staple in the iconic series. The features for the original game were not that great if you go back to it now but they were amazing for it’s time the game was active. You could control what your sim did in the game by making food, socializing, romance, and even death. Trust me, I know a good portion of the Sim community loved killing their sims just to see what all the many deaths there were in the game. I mean all you have to do is look it up on YouTube. The Sims 2 was the next generation of the game to be released to the public in 2004. This brought new challenges alongside new create a sim function. Not only could we get a closer look at the sims we had created but we could also interact with a more social system that was put in place. The Sims 2 introduced better graphics with more building features that made the game one of the best generations ever made. People love The Sims 2 the best out of the game series. I technically liked The Sims 3 better in my opinion because it had everything you could want in it. Sims 3 was introduced in 2009 which brought a much better-updated version of the game. There is a true plotline to the full The Sims game. Each family is connected to the different generations of the whole series. You will need to play the game or watch youtube videos to see the real storyline. Fans were hooked on this series which is not a cheap game. These games usually ran into the hundreds of dollars if you bought the entire collection. Especially, The Sims 4 which is by far the most expensive version in my opinion. Wait, for the sales before buying the game packs for Sims 4 it saves you money plus origin has a sale practically every two months for the games. No joke. Now, Sims 4 is a great game but let’s face it. Maxis took 10 steps back when it came to the graphics but 10 steps forward when it actually came to the core game itself. The Sims 3 graphics were the closest that The Sims ever got to realistic-looking sims. That was one of the biggest points of The Sims games. The characters looked realistic which made the game even better when playing. I’m not going to bash on the new generation any more than I have.

How to play the Game

Note, this game is pretty easy to navigate once you have played with your first character. If you can manage to get The Sims and The Sims 2 on to your computer then I say go for it. It’s not easy but there is a way to do it. Those who have not played The Sims before I would suggest you start with The Sims 3 before jumping into The Sims 4. That way you get a better understanding of the game series as a whole. If you can play The Sims 3 then you can play the other versions of The Sims very easily. A forewarning, don’t use the tutorial for The Sims 4 game! It’s bugged as all get out! Just ignore that function entirely which will be best for you in the long run. You can watch the video of the tutorial if you don’t want to get stuck in the middle of the tutorial when you play. Just trust me on this.

Create A Sim

The create-a-sim section of the game has changed since the original series. You will get to make your character by looking at the different features the game presents. There is always a set group of outfits that your character will need for the game since each set is connected to parts of the game. Such as, seasons you have two outfits in CAS are called Hot Weather Clothes and Cold Weather clothes to wear during the different seasons. If you do not dress your sim in the appropriate clothing for winter they can die from heatstroke or hypothermia in the game. The other outfits are your everyday clothing, formal clothing, sleepwear, party clothing, swimwear. These outfits can be customized to however you want in The Sims 3 since they have the color wheel option but in The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 4 you are given a set of colors to pick from. This was another option that angered some in the community since you had free will when it came to colors of outfits, hair color, and so on in The Sims 3. Also in the CAS for The Sims 3, you were able to pick their zodiac which was a fun little feature in the game. It did not make it to The Sims 4 though. Once, you finally have your character finished you will need to pick a name for your character. These names can be randomly selected with the randomizer or you can come up with your own names. After that, you will get to figure out how you want the sim to sound. There is a multitude of different vocal choices in the games. The Sims 4 has a new feature where you can pick how the character walks which is entertaining if you look at all of them. They also have a feature where you can change the clothing for the different genders so that you can use female clothing on the males which are the same if you were put females in male clothing too. You can choose if your sim can get other sims pregnant or your sim gets pregnant instead this does not matter which gender your sim is. You can also choose how your sims go to the bathroom by standing or sitting which is a strange little feature but wholesome all on its own in The Sims 4. As I said, The Sims 4 went 10 steps forward with the core making of the game which is definitely in the CAS area of the game. On to the main part, you get to chose the aspiration for your sim which is similar to their job but it’s their goal in life. This is the same over all of the 4 generations. Once you have picked one, you will be prompted to choose traits for your character which affect your gameplay for the sim. Pets in the game have changed over the last 3 generations of The Sims. The staple animals are cats and dogs since they have been in all four games. The Sims 3 you had a huge variety of pets who could choose from the ones that could be customized were cats, dogs, and horses in the game. The Sims 4 has yet to get horses but that is not to say they won’t be on the road map to come. We might get horses in the next couple of years. A feature in the game that covers through both The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 is the ability to make your supernatural sims forms look completely different than their normal features. This is an awesome feature that I’m happy they kept in the game! You can do some much with it the features given. Right now, we only have access to witches/wizards, vampires, ghosts, and merpeople. I hope they will be adding more supernatural creatures to The Sims 4 soon.

Build a house/Buy A House

Once you have finished in CAS you will have to get to pick the destination for your sims to live at. The cool feature in Sims 4 is that once you are done making your character you can actually jump from one town to the other without having to go through a lot of hoops like you did with the other generations. In Sims 3 you could do this too but it was a slower way to do it. So once, you find a town you like you can pick a lot that either had a house or didn’t have a house. If you chose the lot with the house you have two choices to choose from which is for the house to be furnished or unfurnished. It’s up to you on that choice most prefer to buy the unfurnished house. I tend to buy the furnished house which I change everything gradually in the game to how I want it to look. After that, you will start to play the game. If you decide to buy an empty lot then you will need to build the house for your sim. This is a fun way to play the game while being able to be creative with the house. I have not built a house yet in The Sims 4 but the layout for building houses is pretty cool to use. I would suggest watching youtube videos to see the best ways to utilize the build it yourself feature. This suggestion is for all of the generations of the series. You can download builds that other players have made using the Gallery Function in The Sims 4 this goes for families, businesses, and other features in the game. Both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 have their own similar feature outlets similar to the gallery which can be accessed in-game when you in the creation processes. You can buy other worlds for The Sims 3 in the origin store just note they are 17.99 for those worlds because they are like a mini-expansion pack with new features. I kind of wish Maxis had stayed with this type of bundling because the game packs would have more content in them instead of what we are getting at the moment.

In-game Events

So in The Sims 4, there are certain events such as Christmas, new years and other holidays that you have to participate in. These events can give your sims different moodlets based on how they participate in the event. Such as, if you forget to finish the event your sims get a sad moodlet that makes them cry and sniffle because they had a horrible holiday. This moodlet can get annoying depending on if your sim is trying to accomplish something else during the event time. The Sims 4 has an event calendar which is about 30 or so days long which cycles through the different events during those certain dates. Note, to those who have not played this game sims lifespan is short but you can extend this lifespan in The Sims 3. You need to got to settings to do so. The Sims 4 has a similar setup but unlike The Sims 3 where you can put an actual number in place, you have to checkmark a box that says to extend lifespan in settings. It’s a bit of a downside since that is a favorite part that I actually liked in The Sims 3. I’m not sure if The Sims 2 had this feature but if you have the game downloaded then I would go to settings to see if there is something about age. There is a way to add your own events to the calendar. I will link a video that shows this process.

The Careers of The Sims Series

Careers is one of the biggest points in the game series. You need a job to get through your aspiration fully. There are some aspirations that rely on unrelated jobs to get the job done but there are ways to do this. For instance, the Archeology aspiration there is not a job that is based in a museum but you can go for the gardening career or freelance careers to get further in the game. The Veterinary career is accessed through the retail career. You will need to buy your lot to open your business then furnish the building with the necessary items. I will link a video about this as well. There are four interactive careers that take a different approach than the usual wait until your sim gets home approach. These jobs give you the option to go to work with your sim plus help your sim get their work done. You will be prompted by a choice box to join the sim or not. If you want to try these out then they are the law enforcement, medical, science, and acting careers. The games in the other Generations are like the standard careers in The Sims 4. They will help you with your progress to beat the game.

Pets in the Sims

The pets during all the generations of the game have changed drastically since it’s the first release in The Sims: Unleashed. The Sims 4 lets you have a more interactive manner with the pets you make. Though you can only control the pet by calling for it by clicking on the little whistle in the corner of its picture icon. The Sims 3 had a better customizing process for animals since you could create just about anything with the software engine the game was based on. This time around you can customize the pets still but we are in the same boat when it comes to the color schemes and patterns on the animals. Also, The Sims 4 has yet to get horses at the moment. We are still waiting on the Equestrian bundle plus much more anticipated animals to be available possibly? Such as werewolves! Still sore on that one supernatural creature not making into the new series just yet. Animals can be accessed in the CAS section of the game plus there should be a pet store in the Pet’s world that came with The Sims 4 Pets expansion. The same goes for all the other sim pets in the other generations.

Now, for other miscellaneous, you can use mods for The Sims 4 but please be careful because if used wrong they can break your game. You have to remove your mods during each update plus make sure to get all of the updated version of each mod you use. You can go to youtube to get a better understanding of these assets. They are made by other Sims fans in the Sims modding community.

If you are having trouble deciding which packs to get watch this video to see if it helps you out. You can also post on my other thread Who plays The Sims? (All Generations).

Let me know if you have any questions about playing The Sims Series! There are many on the forums who play these games so do not be afraid to ask questions. We won’t bite I promise! :rofl:

12 Likes

WOWZA! You finally finally finished your novel!

2 Likes

Lol yep! I got invested to finish this!

2 Likes

Will have a massive read and quote-session in a couple of hours, just have to go out and am not doing it on my phone. HA. (wink)

2 Likes

Lol sounds good!

2 Likes

So much work, but why? Ain’t you sleep-deprived enough already? :sweat_smile::wink:

3 Likes

Lol I’m good! I was off today and tomorrow! I promised not sleep deprived right now!

3 Likes

I had problems to get the expansion packs running for The Sims 2 back in the times, but I remember that one of the bonus items you could get, like a money tree, was a machine looking like a bathtub combined with an electric chair that would make your sim a few days younger again. :grin:

3 Likes

Mhm! Tou put in so much effort into your threads. That’s amazing :heart_eyes: and a bit insane, wooow. I’m very impressed.

Super helpful too! :dizzy:

3 Likes

Oh I forgot to list the cheats! Yeah, I loved Sims 2 but I can’t get it to play on this computer. It’s a huge pain to go through the steps for it right now. That one and Sims 3 were the best in my opinion.

4 Likes

Whispers in sissy’s ear In Turkey you get basically only cracked games, so there was always some working around to do for me. :shushing_face::innocent:

3 Likes

Lol oh right, cracked games are always a pleasure to work with. Syberia being one of them. I’m trying to get that game to work for the past month now.

3 Likes

If I can help you let me know, but better in a pm. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I will take you up on that offer sometime this week then!

3 Likes

I-

Very helpful for those who doesn’t know how to play the sims.

2 Likes

I know how to play sims but thanks

pizza-4900081_960_720

2 Likes

No problem! Oh do you use Windows 10?

yes

1 Like

How did you get it to work? I’m still trying to get mine to work right now.

I illegally downloaded it for the internet I do not have a problem with that since I do own both complete collections and all the gamed individual

1 Like