Thoughts on Wattpad closing their forum

In case you didn’t know, a while ago Wattpad closed their forum to everyone.

I never used it, but I don’t think it was a good idea. Forums like that can be really nice for promoting stories or sharing experiences with other people who use the app.

What did you think of the forum while it existed?
What do you think of them closing it?

@WattpadWizards

3 Likes

Ooooooh, a conspiracy theory thread! I like :laughing:

Personally, I… Sort of understand it, but it doesn’t make me any less salty. WP forums were just a minor add-on to the website. The vast majority of users never visited them, so it was a relatively small, tight-knit community. Using server power just to sustain it doesn’t seem very profitable. (This is largely WattPad’s fault, though - they made the forums a completely separate system from the main website. Ever since then, the interest began to die.)

On top of that, WP forums were always something of a festering boil. People went there to vent out their frustrations with the website, making it a hub of dissent. But also, people fought a lot, over anything and everything. It wasn’t the most toxic place, but forum users have strong opinions on everything - yet were very easy to insult. Add no professional moderation (only community volunteer mods) and you have a recipe for a disaster.

As you imagine, managing the place was hard at the best times. I’m not surprised WP CEOs decided it’s not worth money and effort. Suffice to say, though, it was a straw that broke the camel’s back for many people. There was a real exodus of WP users after the forums closed, many of whom moved straight to Tapas. This says a lot about what people think of it :expressionless:

3 Likes

I’m not an active wattpad user but I’m sure it sucks for the active users there.

Hopefully it contributes to more new users here…

P.S. I really hope EF close instead of wattpad

2 Likes

Just to add on, I think the company believes that managing a website will be quite a hassle and it doesn’t really help them earn money.

1 Like