What Makes You Root For A Love Interest?

So when faced with multiple love interests- what makes you root for one?

I’m just wondering because I’m writing a story with multiple love interests where the MC will only end up with one, and I already have that one picked out. But I obviously have to write the other love interests to trick the readers and write them well so…

3 Likes

It is kinda hard to say. It always depends on the dynamic between the characters. I like nice guys but I also love me a good love/hate relationship. I think what’s important is to show how the relationship between them changes.

1 Like

I think, first of all, what puts me off a LI is when the story says ‘he will be your LI’… I would really just rather not know and read the story as it is, and depending on the choices the MC makes (perhaps from a points system) they will end up with the right person. But, as for the LI themselves, they need a personality that does not revolve around ‘protecting the MC’ or ‘making fun of the MC’. I want to see them having a significant impact on the storyline, if not even having their own storyline.

4 Likes

Hmmmm…I’d say if the LI has a very likeable personality then I’d route for him. Mainly this 50/50 personality meaning they have a huge heart with a small kick of bad boy in them.

3 Likes

Usually in Episode stories I used to go for whichever LI felt most real and like a genuine person. I think the main thing is to actually give the LI a proper personality and interests and stuff like that instead of just being a LI. Also, very important for me personally is that it shouldn’t feel rushed, some stories have them like completely in love with the MC after 3 dates, nah that’s just not realistic at all.

5 Likes

I like guys that are gentlemen and know how to treat a lady, but I also like some good character development.

Let’s talk about a story I read with multiple LIs: Instant Princess.
So, in the second or third chapter, we were introduced to four different princes. Three of those princes seemed like your typical Prince Charming that every girl would instantly go crazy over… but there was one that seemed to be the least popular, according to Instagram screenshots, and that was Prince Claude from Switzerland. Prince Claude got a lot of hate because when he bumped into the MC, he was rude.
But seeing that he might be the one to have the best character development and seeing how he got a lot of hate, I chose the option to have dinner with him and get to know him.
I was pleasantly surprised. He realized he had been very sheltered and was willing to change and get to know people and worlds different from what he grew up knowing.
And I’m so glad I chose him, because he turned out to be a proper gentleman who spoke eloquently. Elegance is attractive to me, and soon, he became one of my favorite LIs ever. Even when Leona disappointed me when she ALMOST (according to my choices) cheated on Claude for Nasty Xande Freakin’ Souza, I continued the story 'til the end because of Prince Claude.

I like it when we get to know the LI’s personality before the MC falls for him. Let the readers fall in love with the LI first… that way, they’ll be more likely to ship that relationship instead of making it feel forced.

4 Likes

If his morals are the same as mine, I’d pick them. If he does more of the little things to be a gentleman I’d lean to him more.

2 Likes

I think it’s important that the LI actually works well with their romantic interest. I’m not rooting for a LI who’s terrible for their romantic interest or has no real chemistry with them.

3 Likes

I don’t like Claude but I have to agree, his character development was the best one because he was actually willing to change for the better when he was with Leona. :relieved: I honestly wish that cheating plot never existed because that’s when the story just went downhill. :upside_down_face: I never thought one character could ruin everything.

2 Likes