What’s your opinion on Skip the Wait and Early Access?

I don’t mind when authors use Early Access, in fact I’ve actually spent gems on some stories for it. But I think Skip the Wait is really annoying because you can’t binge read, so I avoid reading stories that have it :sweat_smile: It’s helpful for authors, though.

• What’s your opinion on Skip the Wait and Early Access?
  • Have you spent gems to read episodes on EA or STW?
  • If you’re an author, have you ever used EA or STW? If not, will you?

@Episodians

2 Likes

What are either of these two things?

2 Likes

I hate Skip the Wait! I don’t mind EA that much, because it only makes the latest released episode of a story available to you before others who don’t pay for it. But Skip the Wait is annoying.

Not yet, but I might if I’m really invested in a story.

I haven’t, and I probably won’t, because I wouldn’t like to punish readers. I’d only add it if I absolutely had to.

2 Likes

Early Access is when an author publishes a new episode and readers will only be able to access it if they pay around 8 gems. And if you don’t want to pay gems, it will be available for free in 6 days. From what I’ve seen, most authors release two episodes at once, with the first being free for everyone and the second on EA

Skip the Wait is when you have to pay gems to access every few episodes, and if you don’t want to pay you have to wait a few hours to read it, depending on how often the author has set it. For example you can set it to every 3 episodes, which will cost the reader 7 gems to skip a 1.5 hour wait. (There are other options too tho) This can also be used on completed stories.

3 Likes

Is this a new thing? Is it for every story/author or just ones under Episode’s money-making thumb?

3 Likes

Kinda, EA was released in February and STW was released in May :eyes:

And it’s for everyone, including community authors. I haven’t seen it being used in a featured story though, but that’s probably because I rarely read featured stories lol

1 Like

Oh, so very new for me. HAHA

Oh, wow. That’s really odd and also annoying to make readers spend gems.

1 Like

I just saw this, oops

Yeah, it is. They also made gem choices affect the rankings of stories, so they’re basically forcing authors to add them in which is even more annoying :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

No worries

WHAT?! They affect the rank? That’s sooo stupid.

1 Like

I know right? If you want your story to trend you’ve gotta add gem choices, otherwise it’ll get nowhere :pensive: some authors have even left or considered leaving the community because of this

I guess Episode finally figured out that nobody picks the gem choices in featured stories, so they made them available for everyone

1 Like

I mean, I totally get that. That sucks. What happened to just writing? Why can’t authors be appreciated for the writing anymore?!

Yeah, that’s probably it. I mean, it’s probably 'cause it’s so damn expensive to have that many gems. SIGH.

2 Likes

That sounds stupid especially considering there are other platforms where you can read an unlimited amount of episodes for free without having to wait at all… I’d probably stop reading a story entirely because I’d get distracted during the wait xD also doesn’t that kind of thing affect a story’s rating negatively since their stories will gain reads slower?

The early access feature sounds reasonable to me if people release 2 episodes at once although it’s probably annoying sometimes because it feels like a slight waste of gems

1 Like

sounds like a copy of webtoon’s fast pass system

1 Like

It does for some authors, so they stopped using it :eyes:

It does get annoying sometimes because I don’t know what to read while waiting 🥲I only pay gems if the author left us on a massive cliffhanger on the previous chapter lol

What’s that? :eyes:

1 Like

if u want to read a webtoon episode faster you buy coins and use them (about 5 coins per episode) or you wait for them to release which is once a week usually. usually comics have 2- 5 episodes ready to be bought in advanced at any time

1 Like

I don’t fully understand Skip the Wait and Early Access, but it seems like it sucks.

No, I have not spent gems to read episodes on EA/STW, I don’t need to.

I haven’t and I probably will never do that, gem choices suck. I’d never hurt my readers that way, no matter how much episode wants me to use gem choices.

1 Like